Thursday, February 25, 2010

Salt Lick, True Texas BBQ



The Salt Lick BBQ lies about 45 minutes Southwest of downtown Austin, Texas. It is definitely worth the drive. Feeling the after effects of a weekend marked by over-consumption, both of alcohol and tacos, my brother Damon and I are finally able to get going close to noon. We meet up with Wes Mickel, the primary instigator of said over-consumption. Wes' soon-to-be brother in-law, Jay, is along for the ride.

First stop: Gas station for a cooler, beer, and ice.

Salt Lick is BYOB and I cannot think of a better way to spend the 30 minute wait for a table than draining a few beers in the parking lot. I finally feel like I have officially arrived in Texas! The aromas dancing their way through the parking lot from the wood-fired BBQ pit are more complex and ethereal than I can put into words.

As the four of us wedge our way back into the crowd at the front door, I catch my first glimpse of the enormous pit to my right. Sausages suspended from the hood are soaking up all of the amazing smoke coming from the ribs and briskets slathered in BBQ sauce below like a sponge. I immediately realize that this smell is going to be with me until my next shower, which will probably be a matter of days the way this trip has been going!

A quick glance at the menu is all we need, the All You Can Eat Family Style Platter will do just fine. Within minutes the first plates arrive; a mountain of assorted meats, brisket, baby-back ribs, country sausage, pickles in all different forms, a huge bowl of coleslaw and potato salad each, two different types of BBQ sauce, one laced with the tear-inducing heat of habanero peppers, and a huge loaf of white bread. Eyeing the mountain of food before us, I trade an almost nervous glance with Wes, before going to town. As it turns out, we all are armed with quite the appetite from the heavy drinking of the night before, and manage to make our way to a 3rd serving before calling it quits. Salt Lick is not a meal to be taken lightly...

The Pit-Master..

Couldn't pass up the Kodak moment!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to Salt Lick if I ever get to Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Garrrett,

    It's so much fun reading about your trip so far. I'm heading to Texas in a couple of weeks to ride in Texas Hell Week right outside of Austin, and I appreciate the barbecue tip....I'm definitely going to check it out.
    Take good care of yourself, and may your oil stay where it belongs!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete