Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Santa Barbara -> Las Vegas - 353 miles

I woke in Santa Barbara with two URGENT issues to deal with;
1. The immediate realization that I drank way too much last night, signaled to me by a gurgling, steaming, witch's brew that was fighting its way back up with an almost Thomas Keller-like sense of urgency.
2. A bladder so full with beer and other mysterious alcohols that it occurs to me mid-vomit that I may actually piss myself as well.

Luckily I am parked in a residential area of Santa Barbara, where my neighbors seem to be more amused than angered, as they stop their morning walk to savor the sound of my previous nights antics hitting the pavement.

A picture will be best to describe my feelings at the time.

On top of this, I realize that my Cannondale mountain bike, the one I have had since I was 12, has been stolen. I'm trying to push through the haze that is clouding my mind to remember how this happened, and I recall that I drunkenly returned my bike to its rack on the back of the bus, taking care to latch every component properly, and then forgot to actually lock it. Welcome to Southern California!
I hit the road early, ready for a change of scenery and make my way to sunny Las Vegas, Nevada


4 Day Stage at Michelin two-star Alex in the Wynn Hotel, Las Vegas.

Langoustine
pickled jicama disc, caviar, celery leaves, dehydrated roe.
Canapes
Tuna tartare with domestic caviar, Pork head cheese, roasted pepper veloute, Gruyere gougere
Amuse
sunny side-up egg, bacon chip, brown chicken jus,
white truffle hollandaise(made with REAL truffle, no oil)
"Caesar Salad"
toro tuna belly, caesar dressing, romaine, fried caper, shaved parmesan, and basil powder.
Roasted Foie Gras
caramelized persimmon, puree, and a winter spiced syrup.
King Crab Risotto
finished with whipped cream for a lightness I have never had in a risotto.
Ricotta Gnocchi
Roasted chicken "oyster", roasted chanterelle and black trumpet mushrooms, jamon, and pecorino on top.
Roasted Veal Chop
broccoli puree, glazed romanesco, oven dried tomatoes and veal canneloni.
John Dory
pan-roasted and served with salsify, littleneck clams, mussels, baby octopus, razor clam, and giant squid. All of this was picked up in a butter sauce that was finished with a French white wine, Chateaux Chalon.
Escargot
parsley puree, sweet garlic custard, oven dried tomato and a light jus.
Chef Stratta, jumping in on the line to cook veal brains for a VIP. They were poached just like you would with sweetbreads, then roasted in a rippin' hot pan. He started them in olive oil then added whole butter as soon as they stared to pick up some color. Once they were almost to the perfect golden brown he added shallots, whole garlic, thyme, and basted them for about a minute. Then capers, parsley, lemon juice and segments were added off the heat. By now the butter had acquired a rich, nutty aroma. This mixed with the acid of the lemon and the saltiness of the capers was perfect. It brought me right back to Skills One in school, simple but amazing!
Looking down the plating area, closest is Meat, the marble is Fish and Pasta, and the far end is for Hot and Cold Apps.
Lamb rack and saddle
basil chutney, roasted peppers and a chickpea crepe.
Mo, the Cold Apps Chef de Partie, helping out on a pickup for the fish station.
Hazelnut and caramel dessert.
The ice cream was a caramelized goats milk base, flavor was out of the park!

I had the good fortune of eating every one of the dishes pictured above, and almost made my way through the entire menu. If half of the restaurants I visit over the next six months are as generous as Alex I will finish this roadtrip a happy, happy man...

4 comments:

  1. You'll have to change the name of the blog, too - Perhaps: You have to trust a chunky chef!
    I'll have the Escargots, followed by the John Dory and then the sweetbreads, please, with the Fois Gras for dessert and the goat milk ice cream as the intermezzo - All accompanied by suitable wines, of course...
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be joining Carolyn. I'd like what she's having, plus the Roasted Veal Chop, the Ricotta Gnocchi, the King Crab Risotto, the Canapes and a doggy-bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garrett!
    You are insane. I would love to see you one of these days. I am going to keep reading this and knowing what you're up to.
    I'm in Davis right now... field trip through California with my class. I was in Santa Cruz right before you were, too bad we couldn't have made that match up.
    Take the best care of yourself please!
    -Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. come on garrett, get off your duff and blog something new. it has been a week.

    ReplyDelete